How To Survive A Lads Holiday And Keep Your GirlfriendMay, 23, 2016
So, you’re going away with the lads for a week to Malia/Napa/Shagaluf. There’s going to be alcohol and parties galore – parties that, without a doubt, will have girls. You and your mates are buzzing! The only difference between you and some of your mates, however, is that you are in a relationship. Don’t worry – it’s not the end of the world…
Presuming you still want to be with your other half when you return (if not, cut it off now and enjoy the freedom these holidays allow for), here are some tips on how to handle your wild week away whilst keeping your girlfriend happy back home:
1. Tell your girlfriend – This might seem a little obvious, but hiding a lads holiday is never a good idea. Your girlfriend is guaranteed to find out one way or another and, when she does, you’ll end up looking like a right mug when she catches you.
By telling your girlfriend, you can reassure her. Make sure you have a face-to-face conversation to lay out the boundaries and tell her that yes, there will be girls there, but you’re with her for a reason. Those other girls are just other people having fun on their holiday and you have no interest in them.
2. Don’t ignore her for a week – This is possibly the worst mistake you could make. Ignoring your girlfriend will just piss her off and the last thing you want whilst recovering from a mad one the night before is an argument over WhatsApp.
Send her snapchats of you by the pool and views of the beach (but not too much to make her jealous). This doesn’t have to be a 24/7 deal where you’re chatting in one hand and downing drinks in the other. Take a break, drunk texts are never a good idea anyway. A quick update every now and then lets her know that you’re thinking of her.
3. Make it clear to your mates what you want – Make sure your pals know that you plan on staying faithful to your girlfriend whilst away. Of course, not all lads want to cheat on their girlfriends, but having your pals trying to force you into something or wing-manning you through the night isn’t going to help.
Decent mates probably wouldn’t do this. Nevertheless, brief them on how you feel.
4. Enjoy your holiday – The last thing you or your mates want is for you to be that guy moping about, missing his girlfriend. You might very well do, but you need to enjoy your holiday. No one’s saying you should forget about her completely, but nothing should stop you from enjoying those 1 euro trays of shots whilst you’re on a big night out.
5. Be honest – If anything does happen – and sometimes it does – it’s better to come clean than try to lie. As much as you may think this is a solid plan, it really isn’t. Social media exists and your mates won’t keep it a secret forever – somehow she will find out and it won’t end well for you when she does.
Even after following these steps, you will probably end up with a girl taking an interest in you, unless you’ve got an ‘I love my girlfriend’ shirt on. This can be kind of tricky, presuming you don’t want to cheat on your girlfriend, but you have a few options to get yourself out of this:
1. Just say ‘No thanks, I have a girlfriend’.
Absolutely mental suggestion but it does work 90% of the time.
2. Be the legendary wingman:
Sure, you’re not available, but that doesn’t mean your mates aren’t! Your single mates will probably stop giving you banter if you’re helping them out, plus it leaves you to get back to partying.
3. If all else fails and things get a little nasty, just walk away.
Having a girlfriend shouldn’t stop you from ending up on a beach at 6am drunk and chatting absolute shit with your mates. You can enjoy a week away with the boys and still keep a girlfriend, and anyone who says you can’t usually aren’t in a relationship. Lads holidays are a mad time that have to be experienced, so just do whatever is going to make you happy – girlfriend or single.
Just remember, those drunken Snapchats won’t last as long as your memories. Don’t live your holiday from behind your phone, trying to keep your girlfriend in the loop. Simply follow these steps, and she will still be there when you get home.
Get featured on the site? Click here to send in an article.