How To Do A Lads/ Girls Holiday On A Budget!June, 05, 2016
It’s that time of year where people perk up as they start to see the warm glow of summer at the end of a cold, dark, stressful tunnel… It’s time to book your girls or lads holiday! But there’s one thing holding you back. MONEY.
As you know holidays can create quite the black hole in your bank account. HOWEVER it doesn’t have to be this way. Here are some tips on how to save money on a girls or lads holiday for you and your mates:
1. Discuss budget with friends – First things first, create a whatsapp group chat with your friends. This gets them all gathered in one place where you can discuss a budget that everyone is comfortable paying. You will all have different amounts due to what you earn or what you’ve saved so you need to find the middle ground and come to a reasonable price.
2. Don’t book with travel agents – These offer big package deals that can be way too expensive and unnecessary. Websites like ‘teletext holidays’ or those where you can book flights and hotels separately are far cheaper, you just have to take the time to search!
3. Don’t be afraid to haggle – With companies where you book over the phone, there is the possibility to reduce the price. They don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to sell a holiday to a group of 8 (THAT’S BIG BUCKS!), so don’t settle for the first price, make them persuade you!
4. Cheap insurance companies – There are so many companies out there that sell holiday insurance for under £20 and have you covered on all the necessities. Also if you are planning to go on holiday more than once in a year it will be worth buying an insurance package that covers you for the whole year – it works out cheaper.
5. Travel light – The less it weighs the less it costs if you are paying at the airport, and if you really want to save some money you can try and fit everything into a cabin sized suitcase as hand luggage is free on most airlines! This is perfect for shorter holidays but I’m sure some hardcore packers are able to do it for the full 7 days – especially men!
6. All inclusive or not? – This really depends on your hotel, how much time you think you’ll be spending there and how much restaurants surrounding you cost. Most people will go for the half board option or even just breakfast as you’re out of the hotel most of the time. However do look into all inclusive. It is a more expensive option (sometimes not all that much though) but may save you money in the long run as you can pre-drink at the hotel and get as drunk as you want! All meals and snacks are included so no need to keep going to restaurants or the supermarket, and no paying for taxis to do so if they’re out of the way.
7. Don’t restrict your hotel choices to 5 star – You may have gotten used to living in luxury on family holidays but for a holiday with your friends it is not necessary. A 3 star is usually perfect as like I said before 90% of the time you won’t be in your hotel room; so the only things you really need is it to be clean, the bathroom facilities to be usable and hygienic and a bed! The only other things the hotel needs is decent food and a pool and you’re sorted.
8. Hotel location – Having a hotel near the strip saves you money on paying for taxis (even though they are quite cheap when there’s a lot of you). But make sure you’re not so close that you can’t get any peace and quiet – a 15 minute walk is a good distance. Trip advisor is your best friend for choosing the location as you can filter through reviews easily to find out how far the hotel is from important places.
9. Share toiletries – There is no need for everyone in your room to bring a shower gel and shampoo each. Instead, assign everyone a few toiletries to bring and split the costs. It’s only a small saving but every little helps.
10. Holiday Wardrobe – If you are planning on buying a whole new summer wardrobe then I can’t stop you. I can only say just buy what you absolutely need (6 pairs of swim trunks aren’t necessary). Also use cheaper shops like Primark, they can have great beach and clubbing ware from £5! (Extra tip for girls, if you find a bikini you like but can only afford the top, Primark sell bottoms in plain colours from £1. It also looks a lot nicer to mix it up).
11. Watch out for pickpockets – There are always people on every strip ready to take advantage of drunken tourists so be mindful of the people around you. There are also people trying to sell you cheap random stuff which can be good if your sunglasses just broke. But what might seem like a good idea when your drunk won’t be such a good idea when you wake up the next morning with 20 euros less and a pink light up tiara.
12. Buy party tickets before you get there – Make sure you pre-book tickets as they are cheaper to order online rather than buying them in resort, and in peak times they get sold out quickly. There’s also the option to buy party packages where you pay a large sum but you get access to all the best parties. This is a great deal if you and your mates are proper party animals. BUT I found it better to buy tickets to only a couple of parties and then just enjoy the free entry clubs and bars on the strip. It’s more exciting not knowing where the night will take you.
13. Cheap drinks – If you are pre-drinking on the strip or just simply want cheap drinks then look out for the smaller bars that have good deals. These are usually located at the starting ends of the strip just before the main clubs so make sure these are your first stop on a night out. Also look out for empty bars as they ususally make you ridiculously good offers just to get more people in! We got a giant fish bowl and 3 drinks each for about €10 per person!
If you have any other holiday money saving tips for the guys and gals then comment below!
Get featured on the site? Click here to send in an article.